It’s always a good idea to keep a list of words you don’t recognize while you read through a book. For me, some words become very closely associated with where I first read them (cul-de-sac I first saw in The Hardy Boys in third grade). Here is my newly learned vocab list after reading The Girls of Corona del Mar.
- Rubicund: adj. red or ruddy
- Autodidact: n. a self-taught person
- Logorrhea: n. pathologically incoherent, repetitive speech or an incessant or compulsive talkativeness
- Aplomb: n. imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance
- Weft: n. woven fabric or garment
- Mimeograph: n.
- Dargah: n. the tomb of a Muslim saint; a Muslim shrine
- Vertiginous: adj. whirling, spinning, rotary