“When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini’s The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta.”
The Thieving Magpie follows Toru Okada throughout The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle – the perfect music for cooking pasta, stalking hotel bell boys, and traveling to the realm of your subconscious. I just finished reading Murakami’s The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last night, and it was quite the journey! As to be expected, Murakami created a very lyrical and eerie world that starts with a man searching for a missing cat, which of course leads to many strange and magical things happening.
I had so much fun making a playlist for Kafka on the Shore that I thought I’d make one for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as well. Most of these songs were mentioned by Murakami, but I threw in a few extras of my own choice for good measure. Have you read the book before? What songs would you add to this playlist?
Please see the tracklist and playlist below:
- Eight Days a Week – The Yesterdays (because Spotify doesn’t have the Beatles)
- Billy Jean – The Thrillers (because Spotify doesn’t have Michael Jackson)
- Jump – Van Halen
- The Hawaiian Wedding Song – Andy Williams
- Hat and Beard – Eric Dolphy
- The Thieving Magpie – Gioachino Rossini
- The Big Ship – Brian Eno
- Tara’s Theme – Percy Faith
- The Musical Offering – J.S. Bach
- Fake Plastic Trees – Radiohead